Buenos Aires - Turistic circuits

Buenos Aires - Argentina

Apartments for rent in Buenos Aires
Apartments for rent in Buenos Aires Departamentos en Buenos Aires
Temporary rentals
Long term rentals
General information
Search apartments
Links
Contacto
Apartments   Luxury apartments   Host families & Rooms   Beach zone   Patagonia
Rentals
Argentina   Buenos Aires
Search from   to
Departamentos Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Turistic circuits
  BUENOS AIRES
  Buenos Aires information
  The top ten activities
  Turistic circuits
  Tango in Buenos Aires
  Embassies in Buenos Aires
  Buenos Aires neighbourhoods
Subscribe to newsletter
Email:
Luxury apartments in Buenos Aires
Argentina Information
Buenos Aires information
  1. Old City and South Areas Circuit
    (Caminito - Cancha de Boca - Plaza Dorrego market - Reserva Ecológica - Costanera Sur)
  2. Downtown Circuit
    (Colón Theater - Tortoni Café - Government House or Pink House - Plaza de Mayo - Metropolitan Cathedral - Cabildo)
  3. Recoleta Circuit
    (Recoleta Cementery - Recoleta Cultural Center - France Square - National Museum of Fine Arts)
  4. Palermo Circuit (Palermo - Japonnnese Garden - Botanic Garden)
  5. Mataderos Circuit (Mataderos Fair Market)


Information source: Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires www.bue.gov.ar

1- Old City and South Areas Circuit
(Caminito - Cancha de Boca - Plaza Dorrego market - Reserva Ecológica - Costanera Sur)

Caminito

This is an open air street-museum that recreates the typical conventillos (housing projects) of the early La Boca neighborhood. Today, you can permanently enjoy a wide variety of exhibitions formed by national and foreign artists. Originally, this footpath, of almost 100 meters long, was part of the Ensenada railway station. Then, it became one of the most interesting sightseeing areas in Buenos Aires city. Every weekend, tango shows are offered by professional tango dancers and singers. You can also visit a handicraft market.
As time went by, traditional artists started to provide the walls with bas-reliefs and mosaics together with statues, friezes and tablets. Thus, in 1959, Caminito became the first pedestrian museum in the world, with no pavements or gates.

Crossroads of Garibaldi and Olavarría streets
Bus Lines: 20, 25, 29, 33, 46, 53, 64, 152

Cancha de Boca

This mythical stadium rises on Brandsen street when it intersects Del Valle Iberlucea street. It is one of the most popular soccer clubs in the country.
It has a horseshoe-shaped structure, three superposed trays and a very high inclination angle. Its capacity is for 60 thousand spectators. Founded in 1940, it was then popularly called "La Bombonera" (the candy jar).
At the entrance hall, people can see and enjoy soccer-related murals painted by Benito Quinquela Martín with the soccer club blue and yellow colors. At the outside, there is another mural painted by Pérez Celis that shows different themes of daily life and personalities of this soccer club and neighborhood. The stadium platforms are a few meters away from the soccer court, thus allowing a complete proximity between the spectators and the match.
A few meters far from the stadium, on Brandsen street, the "Boca Juniors" Passion Museum is in place. It houses soccer-related objects and an interactive audiovisual that tour you through the history of the club.

Brandsen 805
Hours: Every day, from 10 am to 6 pm.
TE: 4309-4700 (extension 717).
Bus Lines: 20, 25, 29, 33, 46, 53, 64, 152

Plaza Dorrego market

Plaza Dorrego market, in San Telmo neighborhood, has been in place since 1970. Initially, only antiques were offered. Today, it is a traditional place where Argentine and foreign tourists may take a walk. Every Sunday, around eight thousand people fill the square and a great variety of objects are offered in the 270 stands of the market.
On Sundays, in the streets surrounding the square, you can see different artistic tango and folklore shows in addition to plastic artists exhibitions. The market is in the heart of the traditional San Telmo neighborhood where many of its old big houses of the 19th. century were recycled to become antiques shops and first class restaurants.
This market offers from "fonolas" (old record players), second-hand books, tango records and sold-out magazines to valuable antiques, costume clothes, mantillas and embroideries. Additionally, you can get tango dance lessons at the center of the square.

Defensa and Humberto Primo - San Telmo -
Hours: Sundays from 10 am to 5 pm
Bus lines: 2, 3, 10, 17, 22, 24, 28, 29, 33, 39, 45, 54, 61, 62, 64, 70, 74, 86, 91, 93, 100, 103, 126, 143, 152, 159

Reserva Ecológica

This is a green space of 360 hectares with some unique features. The land was gained to the river by artificially refilling this area. As years went by, a wide variety of the typical River Plate flora and fauna started to grow up in this area. It has been officially declared as a "Natural Park and Reservoir Zone".
It is a few blocks far from the financial and administrative city, on the southern cost of the River Plate.
You can take a walk or a bicycle ride down the paths that go to the river and stop to have a wonderful view from the sightseeing balconies.

Av. Tristán Achaval Rodríguez 1550

Bus Lines: 4, 29, 33, 53, 54, 64, 86, 129, 130, 152, 154, 159, 168, 186

Costanera Sur

This a nostalgic boulevard located in front of the Ecological Reservoir. You can observe the centenary trees naturally spread along 20 blocks approximately, from the España avenue round on the south dock to the Argentine Yacht Club on the extreme of the north dock. At the center of the avenue round you can see the Nereidas fountain, a sculpture of the Argentine sculptor Lola Mora.
In 1918, the southern coast area was designed as a public bathing place. Today, it is an ideal place to take sun bathes, a bicycle or roller ride, to play soccer or just to stroll around. This park has wide paths and big green spaces together with a sightseeing balcony that let you get a complete view of the Ecological Reservoir.

From España avenue round on the south dock to the Argentine Yacht Club on the north dock

Bus Lines: 4, 29, 33, 53, 54, 64, 86, 129, 130, 152, 154, 159, 168, 186

-------------------- [top] --------------------

2- Downtown Circuit (Colón Theater - Tortoni Café - Government House or Pink House - Plaza de Mayo - Metropolitan Cathedral - Cabildo)

Colón Theatre

This Theatre is one the most famous lyric houses in the world. Inaugurated in 1908 with "Aida" lyric from Giuseppe Verdi, the theatre has hosted the most important artists of the century. It is provided with a stable company, a ballet, orchestras, workshops, a library and a museum. It is endowed with finest acoustics in opera and a capacity for 3,542 spectators (sitting) and 700 (standing).
The premises cover 8,202 square meters. The building combines Italian, Attic-Greek, German and French Renaissance designs that give this theatre the eclectic style of the XIX century. The main room presents seven levels, horseshoe shaped, 3 boxes, galleries, upper galleries and a top gallery. The construction of the Theatre has taken 20 years and the work was directed by the architects Francesco Tamburini, Vittorio Meano and Jules Dormal.

Libertad 621 (San Nicolás neighborhood).
TE: 4378-7132/33.

Bus Lines: 7,24, 26, 28, 29, 38, 45, 56, 59, 64, 67, 105, 132.

Tortoni Cafe

Avenida de Mayo 825

This is the oldest coffee-shop in Buenos Aires and its original style has been kept. Today's location was priorly the seat of Scottish Temple of Buenos Aires (till end of the century). The Tortoni (baptized this way after its Parisian homonymous) used to run some few meters away, in the corner. In 1880 its transfer began to its current property, but the entrance was down Rivadavia street, parallel towards northern Avenida de Mayo. Finally, in 1898, the magnificent door opened up onto Avenida de Mayo. The facade was developed by architect Christophersen. Two decades later, the Tortoni was already become the center of meetings for Buenos Aires' intellectuals and hosted many of the illustrious characters who visited Buenos Aires. Inside the cafe, habitually full of residents and foreigners, pictures, poems and busts tell steps of this story. Its basements are today havens for jazz and tango fans, and the wine cellar is the place where presentations of books and poetry encounters are carried out. Towards its Return side, there are rooms for dominoes, dice and billiards. The Tortoni still offers its customers some endangered drinks like leche merengada (whipped milk), chufas de horchatas (a beverage made from almonds, barely, etc.) and guindado (a sour cherry drink).

Government House or Pink House

Balcarce 50

The headquarters of the Executive Power, located in the place where Garay constructed the Fort of Buenos Aires. Through history, it has been frequently remodelled. The current Pink House consists of two buildings, separated by a narrow alley: one was the government's headquarters and the other one, the Palacio de Correos. Both were similar, but not identical. In 1884, Italian architect Tamburini was requested to unite both buildings. The challenge was solved by a central arch which served as a nexus and it became the main access to Plaza de Mayo. Reformations continued for several years, always following blueprints. The facade was built on Avenida Rivadavia altogether with the esplanade (today ceremonial access), the other facade on Paseo Colon and the interiors: the Hall of Honor, the Salon Blanco (currently holding a magnificent glass chandelier from Azzaretto's in Milan), the big perrons of Carrara marble (one is denominated Italia) and the Patio de las Palmeras, following the style of Renaiscense Italian Palaces. The group is eclectic and rather inharmonic because of the lack of symmetry presented on Balcarce Street, while the north wing stresses the celebrated balcony, a" loggia" of Florentine reminiscences. President Domingo Sarmiento was responsible for the pink painting. He wanted to symbolize the union of the political sectors (the red one, distinctive color for federal party, and the white one for unitary party).
The building, in its current location, has always been the national government's headquarters, from the Primera Junta
of 1810. The balcony of the north wing witnessed countless political, social, sport and film events.
This building also holds the Museum of the Government's House. If you step on the park, you can observe the rear facade of the Pink House, work greatly supported by Italian Francesco Tamburini. Between this façade and the park, you will be able to see the archaeological remains of the Aduana Taylor built in 1854. Towards the right, Rivadavia street. On your left, you will be able to watch the access esplanade the president takes to enter the House. Balcarce façade shows the main frontispiece and if you continue walking, you will turn on Yrigoyen street to access the Museum of the Pink House.

Metropolitan Cathedral

Rivadavia and San Martin streets

The Metropolitan Cathedral appears magnificent facing Plaza de Mayo, on a lot already allotted by Juan de Garay in 1580. In 1692, construction of three isles and lateral chapels started. In 1727, architect Jesuit Blanqui was commanded the projection of a new facade with two towers, but the interior collapsed in 1752. In 1770, almost concluded, cracks were observed in the dome. Its redoing was decided, under direction of Manuel Alvarez de Rocha.
In 1791, worship started and just in 1822 French architects Prosperous Catelin and Pierre Benoît carried out the current neoclassical piazza, inspired by the Palais Bourbon of Paris. J. Dubourdieu took charge of the ornamentation of the frontispiece between 1860 and 1863. It presents twelve Corinthian columns symbolizing the twelve apostles. In the frontispiece a bas-relief represents Jacob's encounter with its son José in Egypt. The interior of the Cathedral holds five aisles. The main one with a seamless vault and a transept covered by a dome which, on a circular drum, reaches 41 meters high. As from the right lateral aisle, you may access the mausoleum where General San Martin ashes are. It has been designed by the French sculptor Carrier Belleuse.
The interior decoration shows Italian improntas: Francesco Paolo Parisi is the author of the Renaissance frescos.
He decorated the dome, the presbytery, the arms of the transept and the central aisle; these paintings were lost because of the humidity. The sculptor Victor de Pol made the monument to archbishop León Federico Aneiros, in San Martin de Tours chapel, left wing. It is a Carrara marble and stone mausoleum where the prelate's image while kneeling is centered. Francesco Domenighini was the painter to the fourteen master pieces of the Via Crucis - originally they were at Pilar church -, and Carlo Morra designed the floor in 1907, which was manufactured in England in Venetian mosaic. In the interior you can see the Mausoleum where General José of San Martin's ashes are.

Cabildo

Bolívar 65

During colony time, the Cabildo was the institution which represented the local interests. There, the English officials signed the rendition after the invasion of 1806. In 1810, the Building held the events which would give rise to the Primera Junta de Gobierno and later to the declaration of independence.
The first building was built in 1609, same place, on a lot assigned by Garay when founding the city. The construction of the current building began in 1725 under the direction of Giovanni Andrea Bianchi. The work ended in 1751. The clock was placed in the tower by Genoese watchmaker Andrea Baccigalupo. The building shows two plants, eleven arcades in each level and a central tower. Along the years, the Cabildo suffered successive architectural modifications: in 1879 Pedro Benoît gave an Italian touch to the facade when adding a third body to the tower (afterwards demolished); in 1889, when Avenida de Mayo was to be opened, three arches of the north sector were demolished. In 1931, the design of Diagonal Sur eliminated three arches of the opposite sector.
In 1940, architect Mario Buschiazzo (Jr) minutely restored it, trying to respect original figure. In 1960, architect Alejandro Bustillo enlarged it, giving place to the current patio, with access from Avenida de Mayo and also from Hipólito Yrigoyen.
This building is currently a Museum of the Cabildo and of the Revoluciòn de Mayo, where guided are offered.

-------------------- [top] --------------------

3- Recoleta Circuit (Recoleta Cementery - Recoleta Cultural Center - France Square - National Museum of Fine Arts)

Recoleta Cemetery

The Recoleta Cemetery is the oldest and most aristocratic cemetery in the city. Its almost 6 hectares (14,000 acres) include the tombs and mausoleums of Independence patriots, presidents of the Republic, military people, scientists and artists. Among them, Eva Perón, Adolfo Bioy Casares and Facundo Quiroga. The crypts and mausoleums were the work, in many cases, of famous architects and are adorned with sculptures. More than 70 mausoleums were declared National Historic Monument. The cemetery is located on the land granted by Juan de Garay to Rodrigo Ortiz de Zárate, a member of the colonizing expedition. Later, the Frailes Recoletos convent was built there. In 1822, after the monks were expelled as a consequence of the General Reform of the Ecclesiastical Order, the orchard of the convent became a cemetery. Its layout was designed by the French engineer Próspero Catelin, and was remodeled during the government of the City Mayor Torcuato de Alvear, in 1881. This remodeling was made by the architect Juan Antonio Buschiazzo. The Italian sculptor Giulio Monteverde created the Christ that presides the chapel.

Junín 1760
Hours: Every day from 8 am to 6 pm.
Guided tours: Free, on the last Sunday of each month, at 2:30 pm.
Telephone: 4803-1594
Bus lines: 5, 10, 17, 37, 38, 39, 41, 59, 60, 61, 62, 67, 75, 92, 93, 95, 101, 102, 106, 108, 110, 124, 130, 152

Recoleta Cultural Center

Junín 1930

This building belonged to the Convent of the Padres Recoletos (1886). It later served as an asylum for old men and as from 1979, it has been run as it currently works.
Architects Santiago Beadle, Luis Benedit and Clorindo Testa intended to reformulate certain sectors of the building to adapt them to the purposes of the Center while respecting the original structure of the construction and restoring the most antique part of the Convent.
Today the auditorium "El Aleph" (former chapel of the asylum) has kept its doors and primitive stain glasses. Next to the auditorium, the amphitheater "Buenos Aires Verano". It holds 27 exhibition rooms, among which "Cronopios" and the multi-cinema stand out (Mementarily Closed).
The wide range of activities developed by the Cultural Center involves fine arts exhibitions, concerts, theatre plays, dances, presentations of books, recitals, perfomances, techno music, video shows and special events.
It also seats a Training area, where courses and artistic shops are delivered as well as a research laboratory for musical production equipped with the most advanced digital technology

Francia Square

Av. del Libertador, among Ricardo Levene, Dr. Luis Agote and Pueyrredon streets

The central monument of this square is denominated "Francia a la Argentina" (France to Argentina), by French sculptor Edmond Peynot. It was inaugurated in 1910 and it has been the first monument donated by a foreign community to be erected in our country, on the Centennial of the Revolution of May.
The four bronze bas-reliefs located on the base depict historical moments of both nations: "Primera Junta de Gobierno Criollo" and "Paso de los Andes" (from Argentina history) and "La Toma de la Bastilla" and "La Declaración de la Independencia" (from France). The allegorical figures, middle centered, in Carrara marble, represent Sciences, Industries, Agriculture and Arts. The shaft is crowned by two feminine figures representing Argentina and France, hand in hand, led by an Angel (symbolizing Glory).
Surrounding the monument, different plates referring to French characters who influenced in our country: grenadier Domingo Porteau, dead San Lorenzo's combat during the fights for independence, the writer and journalist Emile Zola and Luis Braille's bronze sculpture made by Djibilion Lazaro. Luis Braille was the creator of the reading and writing system for the blind.

National Museum of Fine Arts

Av. del Libertador 1473

The most important in our country and one of the main in America. This building formerly belonged to O.S.N. (Argentine Water Services Company). Architect Alejandro Bustillo took charge of the design in 1937, remodelled and adapted it to the function it currently fulfils. It is classical a style. There are 32 rooms, where permanent patrimony is exposed, altogether with changing expositions.
Its collections involve more than 9,000 art pieces - paintings, sculptures, drawings, engravings and objects - 500 out of which are exhibited. It offers a broad panorama of the Occidental art, from Middle Ages until nowadays. Outstanding is the collection of French art from XIX century. First floor holds the Argentine Art collection and one of its rooms is dedicated to contemporary works. The Museum offers important exhibitions of Argentine and international art all over the year.
Among its outstanding pieces, we can admire works by Goya, The Greek, Tintoretto, Zurbarán, Van Gogh, Picasso, Kandinsky and Miró; sculptures by Bourdelle and Rodín, paintings from the XX century by Carlos Morel, Cándido López, Prilidiano Pueyrredón, Ernesto de la Cárcova, etc.

-------------------- [top] --------------------

4- Palermo Circuit (Palermo - Japonnnese Garden - Botanic Garden)

Palermo

This park is located in Palermo neighborhood, bordering Libertador avenue. It has more than 80 hectares full of aged forests.
It was developed in 1874, promoted by the President of the Nation at that time Domingo F. Sarmiento. The design was in charge of the architect and landscaper Carlos Thays, who finally inaugurated the park in November of 1875.
Commonly known as Bosques de Palermo, it is one of the big green spaces in the city. Two artificial lakes border the vegetation. You can go through aquatic birds and plants by boat or water bike.
Additionally, you can enjoy many subspaces, like the "Poets Garden" provided with sculptures by different plastic artists, the "Andalusian Yard" covered with trees foliage and the "Roses Garden" commonly known as El Rosedal with 15,000 rose bushes and plants of 1,189 different species.

Crossroads of Libertador and Sarmiento avenues

Bus Lines: 10, 12, 15, 29, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 55, 57, 59, 60, 64, 67, 68, 93, 65, 108, 111, 118, 128, 141, 152, 160, 161, 188, 194

Botanical Garden

Inaugurated in 1908, the Botanical Garden was designed towards the end of the 19th. century by the French landscape designer Carlos Thays to help accomplish university studies and to classify botanical species. This park - 87,000 m2 or 104,000 sq yards - houses more than 5,000 species of the whole world. Three styles of flora are represented in this garden. The Symmetric style of French inspiration can be found on the plain near Santa Fe avenue. The Landscape style of English origin is represented by the gorge facing Las Heras avenue. Finally, the Mixed style is present at the central area of the Garden. The Argentine flora is located at the most important place, where characteristic species of each province are exhibited. The rest of the areas include species of each continent. Other points of interest are the Roman Garden with a bronze sculpture replica of the Loba Romana (Roman She-wolf); and the art-nouveau style Main Greenhouse that received an award in Paris, in 1899, before being transported to its current location. You can also participate in the Gardening School "Cristóbal Hicken" and visit the Botanical Museum. Both reside in the premises built by the engineer Jordán Wysocky. The numerous sculptures exhibited in the Garden were made by renown Argentine artists.
Av. Santa. Fe 3951 - between Las Heras and Santa Fe avenues and República Arabe Siria street.
Hours: Mondays through Sundays, from 8 am to 6 pm.
Free admission.
Telephone: 4832-1552
Bus lines: 10, 12, 15, 29, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 55, 57, 59, 60, 64, 67, 68, 92, 93, 95, 108, 110, 111, 118, 128, 141, 152, 160, 161, 166, 188.

Japanese Garden

This is one of the biggest Japanese Gardens in the world. It is located within Tres de Febrero Park. The Gardens were created in 1967 by the Japanese community residing in this country as a token of gratitude. Ten years later, the landscape artist Yasuo Inomata redesigned the Garden inspired on the Zen gardens that are generally located at the main entrance of temples.
The garden surface occupies nearly two hectares (5 acres). There is a man-made lake that takes up 70 per cent of the whole garden, as well as several bridges and isles. The main isle is The Gods Island, where you can reach through a curved bridge or the Good Venture Bridge.
The flora comprises 150 species, most of them brought from Japan. The main attractions of the place are the Monument to the Japanese Immigrant - as a homage to the founding community - and the Peace Bell used every year to celebrate the world peace day. You can also enjoy the services of an oriental food restaurant and a cultural place called Tea House that offers exhibitions, shows and conferences related to the Japanese culture.
This park is open everyday, all the year round.
Av. Casares and Av. A. Berro.
Hours: Every day from 10 am to 6 pm.
Admission: $ 2
Telephone/Fax: 4804-4922 / 9141
Bus lines: 67, 37 (Ciudad Universitaria line), 130, 102, 188, 128 and 10.
Subway: Line D, Scalabrini Ortíz station.

-------------------- [top] --------------------

5- Mataderos Circuit (Mataderos Fair Market)

Mataderos Fair

This fair was created in 1986 as a space to show handicrafts and promote Argentine popular traditions. It is located opposite to the National Market of Cattle, a historic monument, between Lisandro de la Torre street and De los Corrales avenue. You may find a wide variety of stands surrounding the Resero monument. This market is divided into three areas: traditional handicrafts, artistic festivals and gaucho abilities. Different activities are organized, such as lectures, exhibitions, videos, competitions, traditional games for kids and adults, popular dances and regional food. The exhibition of gaucho abilities includes "jineteadas" (similar to a rodeo), "doma" (horsebreaking) and "carrera de sortijas" (a horse race). Free workshops of weaving loom, guitar, wood engraving, folklore and tango dance, among others, are also organized. Every Sunday since 1:30 pm, you may see folklore shows.

Av. de los Corrales 6500
Hours: Sundays and holidays, from 11 am to 8 pm.
Admission: Free
Telephone: 4372-4836 4374-9664
Bus lines: 36, 55, 63, 80, 92, 97, 103, 117, 126, 141, 155, 180, 185 and 5 (highway line).


---------------------------------------------
Contenidos proporcionados del portal institucional del Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires.
http://www.bue.gov.ar
---------------------------------------------

 

 
Apartments in Buenos Aires · Host families · Luxury apartments · Argentina information · Buenos Aires information
About Us  ·  Contact Us  ·  FAQs  ·  Terms and conditions  ·  Links  ·  Map Site
BA Home Rental
http://www.bahomerental.com/en
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Our office hours are from Monday to Friday from 11 to 18:00 hs.

Phone: (54 11) 4802-8576 / 4803-9036
info@bahomerental.com
Development by Gloval Desarrollos
BA Home Rental En Espaņol In English Seguinos en Facebook